10 places to go to get geared up for Delaware's beaches
Want to take advantage of all the sun and waves have to offer but lack the gear? Whether you’re into kayaking in a salt marsh or bodyboarding in the Atlantic, outfitters are ready all along the Delaware beaches. Here’s a list of 10 to whet your appetite for adventure.
1. DelMarVa Board Sport Adventures, delmarvaboardsportadventures.com, Rehoboth Beach, offers paddle board rentals, lessons, excursions and sales of new and used paddle boards. Kayaks are available for rent at Dewey Beach and windsurfing lessons are, too. They also offer excursions at a variety of venues including Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Dewey Beach, Fenwick Island, and Lewes.
2. Atlantic Cycles Bike Rentals, atlanticcycles.net, Rehoboth Beach. Atlantic's selection of bikes includes tandems, mountain, hybrid, kid’s bikes and more. High-end road and mountain bikes are available for the biking enthusiast. Be sure to say "hi" to store mascot Chelsea the Bike Dog.
3. Dewey Beach Parasail, flydewey.com, Dewey Beach. Offers scenic and tranquil views of the Delaware coast from the air. Parasailers slowly lift off from the back of a boat and ride in a swing-like harness above the water. Landing is done softly in back of boat. No swimming required.
4. Fisherman’s Wharf, fishlewes.com, Lewes. Fleet includes head boats, deep sea charter boats, cruising, and sightseeing vessels. Offers daily fishing trips, evening cruises and dolphin watching.
5. Cape Water Taxi and Tours, capewatertaxi.com, Lewes, offers a variety of tours and sightseeing trips, including the Lewes eco tours, Osprey banding cruise, Broadkill River or Delaware Bay evening cruises, fireworks cruise and the live music cruise.
6. Delaware Paddlesports, delawarepaddlesports.com, Lewes. It provides kayak and stand up paddleboard rentals, with other options including kayak fishing tours, social and sunset paddles, the latter which offers paddlers the chance to watch the sun set over Delaware Bay with a lighthouse in the background.
7. Bethany Surf Shop, bethanysurfshop.net, Bethany Beach and Ocean View. Rental options include surfboards, bodyboards, skimboards, wetsuits and accessories. Rent by the day or week. Also offered: one-hour paddleboard tours on the calm waters of Bethany’s Assawoman Canal.
8. Blue Collar Man Sport Fishing Charters, bluecollarman.org, Rehoboth Beach. Charter the 32-foot-long “Blue Collar Man,” a Blackfin Sportfisherman captained by Jim Mahoney. Capt. Mahoney offers four-, eight- or 12-hour fishing trips, sightseeing cruises and dolphin watch cruises.
9. Coastal Kayak, coastalkayak.com, Fenwick Island. Rent kayaks and stand-up paddleboards, and take a tour and or get instruction. Sailboat rentals are offered, though experience is required. Guided kayak tours include Burton’s Island Wildlife Tour, in a salt marsh refuge; Assateague Back Bay Pony Tour, a search for famous Assateague Island wild horses; and the Bald Cypress Tour, through a freshwater pond.
10. East of Maui, eastofmaui.com, Dewey Beach. Ever wanted to learn to kiteboard? East of Maui offers lessons with equipment. Also for rent: bikes, kayaks and stand-up paddleboards.