Whether you want to keep the party going at the Bottle & Cork or unwind at Mango’s Bethany, the beaches have bars with the ambience you’re looking for. This list of 10 should get you started.
1. The Starboard, thestarboard.com, Dewey Beach. This well known bar and restaurant serves late-night food and throws a Build Your Own Bloody Mary for Sunday brunch.
2. Bottle & Cork, bottleandcorkdewey.com, Dewey Beach. This bar, nightclub and concert venue calls itself the “Greatest Rock and Roll Bar in the World.” Among the 30+ acts booked for this summer: Lucinda Williams, Fuel, Johnny Lang and Gaelic Storm. Yes, quite a variety.
3. Frogg Pond, thepondrehoboth.com, Rehoboth Beach. This well reviewed bar has 16 beers on tap and more than 40 craft beer in bottles or cans. Holds trivia challenge every Thursday at 7 p.m. and hosts live music Friday and Saturday nights.
4. Nalu Surf Bar & Grill, nalusurfbar.com, Dewey Beach. This open air Hawaiian surf bar with a 360 degree island decor is named after the Hawaiian word for "wave." Go ahead and wave to the 11-foot tiger shark suspended from the ceiling. Wave surfing documentaries frequently play on their flat-screen TVs.
5. Red Square Restaurant and Caviar Bar, redsquarecaviar.net, Rehoboth Beach. Offers largest vodka selection in Delaware. In Russian tradition, vodkas are paired with fresh caviar, served in the traditional Russian style.
6. Arenas, arenasdeliandbar.com, Rehoboth Beach. Try all 80 varieties of beer and be immortalized in the “Hall of Foam.”
7. Fins Fish House and Raw Bar, finsrawbar.com, Rehoboth Beach. Pairs wide variety of oysters with an ever-changing list of craft beers, most of which are made at their Big Oyster Brewery. It promises “oysters that are briny, oysters that are sweet, some that are citrusy and some that are buttery.”
8. Mango’s Bethany, mangosbethany.com, Bethany Beach. This beachfront bar, which claims to have the best views in town, has a casual vibe. Happy hour runs from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
9. Zogg's Raw Bar and Grill, zoggsbar.com, Rehoboth Beach. Largest selection of rum at the beach and wide variety of beer on tap. Scores of rum varieties from around the Caribbean and the world.
10. Conch Island Key West Bar and Grill, conchislandbar.com, Rehoboth Beach. As the name suggests, Conch Island aims for a Key West vibe. Hosts live music most summer evenings. Also operates nearby liquor store.